Friday, February 03, 2006

Cartoons, satire & free speech

Too busy today to do much reading. I think I read perhaps ten pages in the time traveling knight meets single mom math/sattelite person. Whatever the title is. The Janet Chapman book. Tomorrow looks to be calmer I hope I can sit on my ever expanding bottom & read more.

The whole freedom of speech & freedom of the press vs. religious sanctity issues (re: the cartoons satirizing the prophet Mohammed) are getting pretty heated. I haven't had time to hunt for the cartoons (originally printed in September), but I hope to find them this weekend. I'm likely to blog about it in a few days. It has been in the back of my mind quite a bit. I am very conflicted about it all, though.


1 comment:

Anne E. said...

I'm conflicted as well, Amanda. While freedom of the press is a hot issue with me, I can understand why a follower of Islam would be highly insulted by the cartoons as described on the news. Christians know that many horrible deeds have been done in the name of Christ: the Crusades, the Inquisition, the slaughter of the Huguenots in France, the driving of the Moors and Jews from Spain, the list goes on and on. Would Christians be equally insulted if Christ were shown in a cartoon with bloody hands because of something done in his name? I'm sure they would! Where do you draw the line?