Monday, August 01, 2005

Struggling with an old B. Krahn

Hmmm. I started Rebel Passion by Betina Krahn last night. To my dismay, I find it was set less than 20 miles from our parents' (hubby's & mine). I've managed 122 pages, but was unexpectedly dropped out of the story by Ms. Krahn's assertion that the heroine would need a jacket outside during the day in August in southern Virginia!!!!! Now, even accounting for the fact that it was published way back in 1987 (OMG, the dark ages) I can't seem to work around this. Petty of me I know.

I can assure you, as a resident of Virginia, that one does not need a jacket in Virginia between say April & September or even October. Umbrellas. Sunscreen. NOT JACKETS.

Other problem- heroine surrenders her virginity outside. During the day. Without second thoughts (until afterwards natch).

Still, the hero is your basic cut out alpha with no personality, but I have a soft spot for Betina Krahn's newer books & for the Revolutionary period in general. We'll see. No hurries, mate.

After all, my parents just called & said they're coming over to spend the night while on their way to NH for a family reunion. I suppose I'm grateful they gave me a few hours warning.

1 comment:

Tara Marie said...

Amanda, I also enjoy Betina Krahn, but I don't like anything she wrote before "Caught in the Act", which is probably my favorite of hers. I find I nit pick at her American Historicals, like you're doing now.