Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Updates

Husband is in the middle of juggling applications at two different hospitals on opposite ends of our area. One is in his medical subspecialty (obstetrics & women's health), one is completely different (cardiac step down & icu). Each location has good points & bad ones, but one has vastly better benefits. The other, though, has two employees husband has worked with previously & respects. Don't know how it will fall out, but the situation where he is currently employed isn't improving, it has deteriorated. So we're on tenterhooks at the moment.

Son #1 continues to muddle along. The ballpark job has hit a snag. He thought the orientation was tonight, but we arrived & the place was empty. Not a soul. He says he tried calling twice to confirm the date and time, but never was able to speak to a live human, only phone trees. Poor guy is disappointed. We'll try & talk to a human tomorrow. OTOH, one of his buddies is trying to line him up with a part time job with a lawn service. We'll see how things shake out. On the college apps- two acceptances, one yet to hear from. We're holding off on decisions until we hear about financial aid packages from each place. GF is sick with stomach flu, but otherwise ok. She's in school part time & trying to hang tough. I'm attempting to get them to decide whose prom they're going to attend.

Daughter continues to hang tough with geometry. She volunteers at the county animal shelter & is thinking about getting a summer job at the mall, hopefully at her favorite anime store. *eye roll* On Easter Eve, the Great Vigil (April 7th) she will be confirmed at our church & we're planning a big family party to celebrate on Easter Sunday. The big trip her Sunday School class has been planning *snort* has hit that eternal snag- $$$. Supposedly airfares have risen dramatically in the last few weeks, eating into the budget. My problem is that the adults planning this little escape have known for months where the kids wanted to go & ought not have waited so long to pay deposits etc. Now the kids may have to completely retrench & choose another location. I'm angry about the whole situation, it has been mismanaged from the word go & there's no one to blame but the adults in charge, but the kids will pay for the lack of advance planning & guidance.

Son #2 has been accepted into the IBMYP magnet program in our school district. This is the same program Daughter is on the tail end of. It is an excellent program & we respect it highly. He's very very excited. Some of his friends have been accepted as well & he's looking forward to trading homework horror stories & having some of the same teachers Daughter had. Musically he continues to sing & play piano. No voice change yet. There's a new male choir member at church who sings tenor all the way to alto (& beautifully too). He & the Son have traded laughs a time or two, as he started as a boy soprano just as Son is now.

4 comments:

Jenster said...

Good luck to your husband. It sounds a bit like a win/win situation for him, no matter which job he gets.

Bummer about Son#1's ballpark job! Sorry GF has the flu, but glad to hear she's doing well otherwise.

Cool time for daughter to be confirmed - very meaningful. AND she gets chocolate! The trip debacle is very frustrating.

Congrats to Son #2!! Very impressive!

Bookwormom said...

Thanks for the good wishes Jenster.

CindyS said...

Wow, job change, son going to college - then there are big whoppers! Would this mean a potential move of home or do you think you can stay where you are?

Your daughter must be so excited about her confirmation and the party sounds grand. Sorry to hear about the trip.

Wow, that program looks exciting for Son #2 and I hope Son #1 can find a good job for the summer!

CindyS

Bookwormom said...

CindyS- We're hoping to stay where we are for the next couple of years (until Daughter's finished with High school), maybe after that we'll move. Don't know yet. It's sure to be a busy year.