Monday, December 04, 2006

Seasonal Weather & A Poem

Winter has returned, meek like a lamb. Today the temperatures were down to the 40's with strong breezes but sunny too. The heat has cycled on and off all day- for the first time in ages. Tonight the temperature is already in the low 30's at 8:30. Entirely appropriate for December, but signifigantly cooler than a couple of nights ago when Husband went for a run in shorts and a tshirt. I waited for him on the porch, not dressed much more warmly than he was. I am a very cold person in the winter just to give you an idea of how warm it was. We had doors open and fans on all night. Not tonight I don't think.

Weather appropriate to the New England of my childhood somehow matches my inner compass. It matches my inner sense of what winter weather 'ought' to be, somehow. If that makes any sense. As an adult, I have spent a winters in regions where warm or hot weather is the norm. In those places I always felt out of place, off kilter. As though my inner compass was wrong. The season simply didn't match what my memories told me it ought to be. Actually, in hot climates, none of the seasonal weather matched my inner sense of 'what should be.'


A Christmas Carol
by Christina Rossetti


In The bleak mid-winter
Frosty winds made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak mid-winter,
Long ago.

Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him
Nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away
When he comes to reign:
In the bleak mid-winter
A stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty
Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

CindyS said...

I've never read that Christmas Carol before but its lovely!

Tonight we had our first snow and now I'm ready for Christmas. Okay, I haven't done my cards yet but uh, yeah, I'm ready.

We have had a few mild winters in a row a few years back and I always find it depressing if we don't have lots of snow. So I put an order in this year and have been vocal about it (that's usually when people try to cover my mouth). I want lots and lots and lots of snow!

CindyS

Bob & Muffintop said...

Cindy- I've not done my cards yet either, so don't feel bad. I've already received one though!