Saturday, November 25, 2006

New Discovery

If you go to Maili's her header had a white kitty wearing a fruit cut up in the shape of a helmet on its head. Turns out an astute reader told us it is a fruit called a pummelo.

While out shopping Black Friday I happened to stop in my favorite Asian/Latino grocer. Lo and behold, they had a big display of pummelos. I remembered Maili's photo and bought one. For curiosity's sake it was 20" in circumference and weighed 2 pounds 12 ounces and was a uniform medium lime green. After peeling the extremely thick rind, nearly an inch in places, it proved to be a giant green replica of red grapefruit.

Very yummy & a wonderful breakfast. Most likely excellent cut in half and baked with honey drizzled all over (my favorite way to eat a grapefruit).

4 comments:

Dev said...

Sounds yummy. You are a much braver soul than I am ~ I don't leave my house on Black Friday (well, I did go to the library). I can't stomach the crowds.

Tara Marie said...

Oooo, that does sound good, I'm pretty sure I saw them in a local supermarket, definitely will give one a try.

Unknown said...

do try a yellow kiwi they are some good . diff taste and so smooth and juicy too. anyhow about grapefruit they taste sour or bitter usally . well i was told when you eat a grapefruit right after it picked , it not bitter or sour at all buit sweet . i had no idea. yeah the person was on trip to the holy land i think or was some other trip . was surprised to hear this . i jst cant eat thing bitter or sour with sugar period , heh, mamx

Bob & Muffintop said...

Devonna- The only reason I was out at all was that Son #2 outgrew all of his pants & wanted some that actually touched his shoes. Silly Boy. Found some great bargains. Otherwise I dislike crowds myself.

Tara- Worth a try at least once.

Mamxxx- I've never seen a yellow kiwi, but I'll keep an eye out for them. The pummelo was sweeter than an ordinary red grapefruit. Quite yummy.