Friday, September 30, 2005

Nightable reading pile

I never finished Redwall by Brian Jacques or A Daughter's Destiny by Jo Ann Ferguson. Redwall simply wasn't able to hold my attention, even though I really wanted to like it. Similarly, the Ferguson book dragged in the middle. Badly enough that I simply skipped to the last few pages & declared myself finished. The other Ferguson book (about the second daughter) I read during the summer suffered from similar issues although not to this extent. I have the third book (about the brother) but & am undecided as to if I shall actually read it.

Yesterday I read Lady Leprechaun by Melinda McRae. Another tradtional Regency, this one featured a widow & widower (the Duke of Hartford & Emily, Vicountess Darrow) chasing after their runaway sons & subsequently falling in love over the two week cross country chase. The boys were adorable although I found it hard to believe that a pair of ten year olds could survive two weeks traveling cross England on foot. Lady Leprechaun was well enough done, but the hero & heroine simply didn't catch fire with me.

This weekend is scheduled out to the nth degree & I hope to keep you abreast of the action, but if I'm unable to post, don't be surprised.

Oh BTW- I just bought Shana Abe's Smoke Thief yesterday & hope to squeeze in time to start it this weekend. I've looked forward to this one for a long time!

1 comment:

Bob & Muffintop said...

Anne- No, I haven't found any of E. Chadwick's books. Somehow she's slipped below the radar. I'll keep an eye out for her in future.

As to B. Small, you'll laugh because the only one I have is Philippa! LOL :P Haven't read it yet.

I saw ABoS&A in the bookstore & decided to wait & see what others thought. I really, really, really disliked #5 & am unwilling to sprend so much cash on an author who, for me, has been very uneven.