Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Lord of Scoundrels; Loretta Chase

Image found on Fantastic Fiction

I’ve had this on my shelves for a long time. It sat there and taunted me regularly. I guess I’m a little jaded as a romance reader. Lord of Scoundrels has won quite a few reader polls around the Romanceland blogoshere. And I’m always suspicious of poll winning or award winning books. Plus I buy books and then bury them in my TBR as a matter of course anyway. So between my usual behaviors and my inherent suspicion LoS sat and sat and sat. OK. I admit it. I was wrong. There, are you happy now?

Plot is the usual: bad evil rake meets refreshing young(ish) thing who finally cracks his hardened outer shell and helps him set his inner honorable and loving self free. Set in Paris in 1828. Except that this book is the real deal. It’s easily one of the best historical romances I’ve read in a long time. Lord of Scoundrels is a character study of two individuals despite the fact that both of them are, in fact, common types easliy found in Romanceland everywhere.

Dominick Ballister, Marquess of Dain is a real bad guy who initially really doesn’t care. Due to traumatic experiences in school and a cold, emotionally unavailable father Dain has had to make his own way since early childhood. The difference between intellectual knowledge of emotions and actually experiencing said emotions makes him uncomfortable. Luckily Dain’s surliness and studied nonchalance is matched by Jessica’s charm and wit and determination.

Miss Jessica Trent has been summoned to Paris, by the servants no less, to rescue her brainless brother from himself. Again. It appears she's inherited all of the common sense in the family. Between her personality, having to cope with Brainless Brother, her age (an on the shelf spinster at 27) and an innate ability to see through Dain's facade ensures she isn't put off by Dain's antics as others of her class have been. Jess is observant, funny and calm and isn't easily discomposed by Dain's attitude or initial behavior.

Their adventures range across Paris to London to Dartmoor involving exorcising the past, learning monumental patience, and becoming responsible for a freer future for yourself and your family.


The hilarious and sharp tongued Mrs. Giggles gave this a 99! Keeper. One of the best.

2 comments:

CindyS said...

Yay!! You liked it! ;)

I've buried many books in the TBR pile but thanks to Kristie I've managed to dig out a few keepers.

Have you read Mr. Impossible? Cause that one hit first place for me with Chase. Loved it. Okay, now I've made you suspicious ;)

CindyS

Bob & Muffintop said...

CindyS- I justbought Mr. Impossible at the UBS with my credit slip. It looks really good!