Monday, October 22, 2007

The Earl's Prize, Nicola Cornick

Published in 2003 by Harlequin, I picked this one up because I love the name Nicola. That was it. I knew it was a Regency & I generally enjoy them, so that was fine. Seriously. Not one of my finer UBS impulse purchases. Then again, I bought it with a credit slip and it was only $1.50. I liked it very much though. I plan to hunt her backlist up at the UBS too.

Joss, Earl of Tallant, is a cynical jaded man whose primary occupations in life appear to be goading his father, rescuing his sister and bedding every willing female in the Ton. Oh, and gambling. He can afford it. His father can't disinherit him no matter what he does. IIRC, this is one of the few red headed heroes I've come across.

Amy Bainbridge is a well bred young woman whose entire life has risen and fallen like the tide, mostly fallen, on the fortunes of her gambling addicted father. She and her mother live a half life in partial starvation in order to keep Amy's brother "in good social standing." Honest. I couldn't make that up. It makes sense though, in context.

Amy and Joss meet via Amy's brother. A few little manipulations here and there, and, well~ you arrive at the HEA. Very well done. Thoughtful, intelligent protagonists. Quick read well worth the couple of hours I spent reading while Hubby snored beside me and I listened with half an ear to the game (game 6 R. Sox vs. Indians) on tv.

No comments: